The Baraga Slovenian Club
St Lazare Quebec
Slovenian immigrants settled in Quebec province as long ago
as 1870. One Slovenian business operating at the turn of the
century was a Montreal lumber company owned by Peter Jereb.
Hydro Quebec is now located on that site. Several Slovenian
families settled in Quebec between 1920 and 1930, but many returned
to their homeland after World War Two. At that time only about
one hundred families remained in Montreal. However, they were
soon joined by new arrivals who were part of the second and
third phases of Slovenian immigration to Canada.
The Baraga Slovenian Club was founded in 1951. The association
organized picnics and other outings and held Sunday services
in the local Slovak church. The Slovenian Vincentian fathers
from Toronto also held services occasionally and led spiritual
renewals. A choral group and a folk dance company were soon
In 1957 Rev. Joseph ltasl began to form a Slovenian parish when
he assumed duties as Slovenian chaplain at the church of St.
Louis deFrance. Through its goals and activities the Baraga
Club was instrumental in the development of the parish. The
Slovak church building was purchased in 1963 and Mission Slovene
Catholique St. Vladimir was established in January, 1964.
In 1961 the Baraga Club purchased twelve hectares of land in
the St. Lazare area west of Montreal, which was transformed
from uncultivated ground to a beautiful park with picnic facilities,
a clubhouse, summer cottages, and trailers. The main building
can accommodate up to five hundred people. Among other activities
four yearly picnics are organized, during which Mass is celebrated
by the parish priest.
Social and cultural groups presently included in the Baraga
Slovenian Club are the Slovenian Hunters and Anglers Club, a
folk dance company, and a youth club.