The Slovenian Summer Camp
In 1956 Our Lady Help of Christians Parish purchased eight
hectares of farmland north of Toronto between Bolton and Alliston.
The parishioners worked for two summers to transform the land
into a summer camp complete with swimming pool and pavilion.
In 1961 the ownership was transferred to the Slovenian St. Vincent
missionaries and an additional twelve hectares were purchased.
An outdoor chapel and a hall were added. The hall was named
Baragov dom in honour of missionary bishop Frederik Baraga.
As the use of the facility increased, renovations and additions
became necessary. A wading pool and children's playground were
installed, lawn bowling and other sports areas were constructed,
and grass and weeping willow trees were planted. At the present
time approximately 120 families are accommodated on the grounds
in trailers and cottages.
Several annual events take place at the camp. The Corpus Christi
procession in May attracts five thousand Slovenians from all
over Ontario. Slovenian Day, Catholic Day, and Baraga Day draw
about two thousand people each. A Thanksgiving Mass is held
at the close of the season, with a turkey dinner afterward.
During the winter months the camp is open for skiing, tobogganing,
and ice skating. Boy Scout troops use the camp facilities regularly.
The camp also hosts visiting baseball teams and folklore groups
from the United States.