The Canadian Slovenian Cultural Society
The earliest Slovenian settlers in Winnipeg six men arrived
in 1925. They formed the first unofficial Slovenian society
in the area. After the Second World War there was an influx
of immigrants and the Slovenian Club of Manitoba was soon established.
The club obtained its charter in 1953.
The association was instrumental in establishing the Slovenian
parish, Our Lady of Lourdes, which was consecrated in June,
1963. The church has since been the centre of all Slovenian
activities in Winnipeg. The church hall is used for club meetings,
Catholic Women's League meetings, folklore presentations, and
other club or parish functions. Members take an active part
in Folklorama, the annual festival of nations. Four folk dance
groups, a Slovenian band, and a male quintet entertain at the
Slovenian pavilion. In 1978 the Slovenian Club's Yolanda Jasnich
was crowned Queen of Folklorama. Exchange programs with similar
associations in western Canada are regularly arranged as well
as visits of touring musical ensembles from Slovenia.
CSCS owns a farm about twenty kilometres outside of Winnipeg,
where picnics, sports activities, and the annual Slovenian Day
celebrations take place. The original Slovenian Club of Manitoba
ceased to exist in 1996, and from it the CSCS was born.